Hardcore beef jerky followers recognize the struggle of wishing to consume it 24/7, but being held back by one major variable: cost.
The major reason jerky is so pricey is since it takes a whole lot more meat to make it than the 2.7 ounces we see.
A Beef Jerky manufacturer described this on their website, as it is a typically asked concern:
The major reason is that all jerky is costly to make. Beef has to do with 60% water, therefore, when it gets dried the majority of the weight gets vaporized. It takes around 2.5 pounds of quality beef to manufacture 1 Pound of jerky. Secondly, many beef jerky companies utilize costly preservatives and chemicals when making their jerky, as well as they, have a lot of waste just based on how they make it. We use minimal chemicals, particularly in the Original, as well as Intense Hot tastes, and have a unique procedure that is more reliable, as well as minimizes waste substantially. This conserves your cash.
As proprietor of a natural, jerky firm, I can give you tons of factors it’s so pricey, let’s check a few:
- Needs plenty labor
- Every time takes care of lean beef, which is pricier than hen, pork, or even beef fat.
- Packaging can be fairly expensive.
- Insurance coverage as well as rent out at a USDA-approved facility.
- Time: it takes a pair of days to begin, as well as coating of a small-batch run.
- Shrink: Given that the beef is mainly water as well as given that you’re dehydrating you lose 40 to 60% of the weight of the meat, better increasing the price.
- Quality active ingredients. For example, we import crazy seasonings from throughout the world and utilize premier 100% natural ingredients.
- Delivering, obtaining all the ingredients to your facility, and then delivering the jerky around the country is not inexpensive.
In that same thread, a Reddit individual obtained a little more particular with the kind of meat utilized for beef jerky, claiming that jerky is generally made with rump roast, which can often go for about $5.99 an extra pound.